Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What's my excuse?

So, why will this time be different? Why now? What happened to all my excuses?

Well I have been working out pretty regularly for the past two weeks. Granted I went on vacation for 4 days and didn't work out during those 4 days but I did make healthier eating choices while on vacation and when I came back I some double sessions when I did work out. Last night I watched Extreme Makeover: Weight loss Edition featuring a woman named Staci. This woman weighed 456lbs her person goal was to lose 200 of those pounds. This woman had everything stacked against her. She worked full time, her husband had had a stroke shortly after they were married and had no feeling in his left side which limited him on how much he could help his wife around the house and with raising their two children. By the end of the show and the year she had lost 201lbs!  As I was watching I thought, "well yeah if I had a person trainer come to my house and help me cook the right kinds of food and make sure I worked out for 4 hours a day I could lose weight too."  During phase two of her transformation, because she had met her goal of losing 100lbs in the 1st 90 day period he provided her with a nanny and transformed her home into a workout room complete with cardio machines and everything she needed. So, once again, I thought, "Well yeah, if I had a nanny to take care of my daughter and everything I needed right here to work out and 4 hours of uninterrupted time to workout I could lose weight too." Then came phase 3. She was on her own. No trainer, no nanny, just her and her fitness room. Needless to say she didn't lose weight, in fact she gained 4 pounds in those 3 months. BUT then came phase 4. He final 3 month period. She was still on her own, no trainer, no nanny, just the workout room in her home and she lost 41lbs. It was the goal for her final three months, but it was enough for her to meet her personal goal. She lost a total of 201lbs! At the end of the show the trainer recapped everything and asked, "So what's your excuse?" "What do you have going on in your life you can't put yourself first and take care of you?" Suddenly, all my excuses were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on A Better Reflection. All comments are reviewed to ensure they support a positive fitness environment before publishing.