Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Can You Really "Walk Off" the Weight?

 This is a little more detailed repost of an article I found on LiveStrong.com. This article was short and sweet and in a few paragraphs detailed the number or calories you could burn while walking, specifically walking while pushing a stroller. Your weight and the pace you at which you are walking affect how many calories you burn. I originally sought this article out because on the calorie counting website I use: MyFitnessPal.com there were several entries for "walking" under the cardiovascular activities. They had various pace of walking and more detailed types of walking such as "walking a dog" but I was always walking pushing my daughter in her stroller so I googled "walking while pushing a stroller" and this is article I was drawn to.

This is the general breakdown of the article

Calories Per HOUR burned while pushing a stroller 2mph (slow)
130lbs = 147 cals
155lbs = 176 cals
180lbs = 204 cals
206lbs = 232 cals

Calories Per HOUR burned while pushing a stroller at 3mph (moderate)
130lbs = 195 cals
155lbs = 232 cals
180lbs = 270 cals
205lbs = 307 cals

Calories Per HOUR burned while pushing a stroller at  3.5 mph (fast)
130lbs = 224 cals
155lbs = 267 cals
180lbs = 311 cals
205lbs = 354 cals

Calories Per HOUR burned while pushing a stroller on an incline at a fast pace
130lbs = 354 cals
155lbs = 422 cals
180lbs = 490 cals
205lbs  = 560cals

After reading this article I realize I'm probably burning signficantly more calories when I walk because of the area that I live in. No matter which way you walk half of the walk is on an incline. Yay!
 For more information from the source go to
http://www.livestrong.com/article/311997-calories-burned-pushing-a-stroller/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on A Better Reflection. All comments are reviewed to ensure they support a positive fitness environment before publishing.